Welcome

The current installment of the COEC began meeting in 2007.

We are currently on a "break," for no particular reason, and many little reasons - mostly pertaining to life circumstances. If anyone is interested in calling a meeting, feel free to post on the blog, join the google group (see link below) and send an email, or contact either Nancy (nancykj10@yahoo.com) or Jesse (schroeder.jesse@gmail.com) for more information.

To receive cohort emails, join our Google group.

2.10.2008

Joys and Sorrows

While praying during today's celebration of the faithful, I found myself caught between generic feelings and specific requests. I've been uncertain how to reconcile the two specifically in relation to this group as we move past the initial formation stage into something where we actually get to know each other deeper, both our joys and our sorrows.

After last weeks conversation with Jesse and others, I was impressed by the idea of praying for God's will to be manifested in our lives not in terms of vending machine requests like "give me this grade, Lord" or "let me meet my wife, God" or "heal my brother, Jesus." Not that we shouldn't pray for those things, but I believe God's answer can be in terms of attitudes and conditions (studious in everyting, love towards others, peace in hardship) in addition to tangible results (A+, Loving Wife, a Healthy Body).

I guess I just want to know how I can pray for you all: specific requests for all the ways that we don't really know each other, and also broader recognition of the way God's will be done here on earth. Maybe we can add a post like this every so often and people can add requests as comments. Whenever we're on our own or with others and ready to pray, we can bring up the latest prayer post... in this I share the hope to know and love you all the more.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Kellye's brother Jon has been fairly sick for about a week now. It started with just some annoying acid reflux, but then quickly developed to influenza, which then affected his eating, sleeping and most importantly his breathing. Because Jon has muscular dystrophy, his lungs operate at about 30%, so you can imagine it is tough to have a cold.

A more long-term request would be for Kellye and I as we prepare to really throw ourselves into graduate school in coming years. My online class now is somewhat taxing, and Kellye will hopefully begin classes this summer. Please pray for wisdom and direction.

Thanks -

Unknown said...

I share your debaclement in praying for God's will. What is it? Is it "tappable into?" Like so many answers to questions, I find myself again saying, "I don't know." I don't know God's will and I have partially vowed myself against ever claiming I know what God's will for me is in the here and now.

If I had to guess, which in a way I suppose I do, I would think God has a will but that will doesn't seem to be imposed upon humanity. I'm really bothered by the people who talk about "kharma" as if God definitively rewards goodness with goodness and evil with evil in such a kharmically complex way that it's impossible to understand. There are many people who believe that, but I find it impossible to understand how God might dole out an un-observable effect for a cause. It's just too confusing for me.

Anyways, pray for peace.