Welcome

The current installment of the COEC began meeting in 2007.

We are currently on a "break," for no particular reason, and many little reasons - mostly pertaining to life circumstances. If anyone is interested in calling a meeting, feel free to post on the blog, join the google group (see link below) and send an email, or contact either Nancy (nancykj10@yahoo.com) or Jesse (schroeder.jesse@gmail.com) for more information.

To receive cohort emails, join our Google group.

1.17.2011

Report on the Planning Meeting

Yesterday Nancy hosted the planning meeting. She facilitated a great introduction where we reflected personally and asked "In the context of the cohort, what do we need?" Several answers that were shared were: Community; Friends; Freedom; to be Challenged; Consistency; Authenticity; and more. It was meaningful to hear from people about what they were needing from the group.

Then we talked about specifics about ideas, gatherings, and planning times and locations for the next few months. I have updated the Google calendar (see the right of this page). I tried to include as much information about time, location, and a brief description of the event, so if you click on the event, some more information should come up. I also wrote out all of the planned gatherings in a google document so you could read through what we are planning for the next few months. You can see that here. If you have ideas or questions about specific gatherings, please let us know!

A few small details:

  • We found out that the Global Gallery in Clintonville has a standing 3pm knitting group on Sundays. So, we are trying new locations for discussions, such as the Main Library, the Cup O Joe on North High Street (where we had the Hell discussion) and any other place you can recommend!
  • We may try to check out the "Expresso Yourself Music Cafe" sometime soon. Scot knows the owner and it looks like a cool place.
  • Guys will be doing poker night on a Friday night sometime soon. 


I'm very excited for the next few months of cohort gatherings. I think we have some great things planned! Hope to see everyone soon.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Wow, what an exciting list of new agenda items for the coming months!

I'm particularly interested in the conversation about "worship." A friend (who happens to be agnostic, but was raised in a Southern Baptist church for what it's worth) recently told me she finds even the idea of "worship" to be such a narrow, barbaric and insensible notion, especially when connected back to its association with animal sacrifice and such. I didn't know what to say. In fact, I found myself in agreement, I suppose. I don't think I worship God as much as I think about God. Is thinking worship? Or is that just theology...

Anyway, wish I could participate in all of the upcoming events. Miss you guys!

Angela Harms said...

I have a similar reaction to "worship". But I also get something out of the things people call worship, so. It's kinda confusing.

Also, I don't want to call it wrong (or barbaric) because I know it's meaningful for some folks. And I can't really define "it" anyway.

I think mindfulness or paying attention is really what I'm after. Being awake in the moment, open to God in whatever form. Being together can make that easier.