Welcome

The current installment of the COEC began meeting in 2007.

We are currently on a "break," for no particular reason, and many little reasons - mostly pertaining to life circumstances. If anyone is interested in calling a meeting, feel free to post on the blog, join the google group (see link below) and send an email, or contact either Nancy (nancykj10@yahoo.com) or Jesse (schroeder.jesse@gmail.com) for more information.

To receive cohort emails, join our Google group.

1.25.2010

Death is part of what we do....

I was reading through a long list of tweets, clicking on various links and scrolling through random blogs, when I saw this comment from Samir Selmanovic on a post by Tony Jones -

"We are not interested in thriving. We are interested in what is real. Death is part of what we do."

That statement just floored me, and I'll be thinking about it for a few days. Especially after several cohort meetings that have felt very full of life, very promising and 'thriving,' it strikes my core to remember that "success" is not what this is all about it. It's about real life. And death is a part of real life.

I hope we can embrace the "death" in our group, as well as the "life" - whatever that may look like.

3 comments:

Scot said...

thanks Jesse, ...hmmmm...? I looked at that comment @ the jones blog. Didn't have time to explore the context. But the way you wrote about it brought up some stuff in me. Of course in my journey 'success" for a church or spiritual endeavor was always measured by growth/numbers. We would say it's quality not quantity that is important but everybody "knew" if it wasn't growing then something was "wrong". That's understandable when your perspective is our job as Christians is to make more Christians. So having been through my share of spiritual endeavors that "died" I kinda took encouragement from the idea that their death was alright...even part of the process if you will. Once again not sure this has anything to do with the context you or the author intended. But wow? What kind of "death in our group" were you thinking of...do you mean like cease to exist? trying to get my head around this. I get the thriving = success...but what is the opposite or the death is a positive perspective as far as our cohort goes?

Another (I think related)thing the author said:

1. We are not interested in thriving. We are interested in what is real. Death is part of what we do.

2. We have non-negotiable foundational dogma. Happy? No 1: We believe in conversation.

3. Emerging church doubts itself more than its critics. That’s our strength.

4. Emerging church is hyper-evangelical. Dogma No 2: Good News gets better.

I'm curious about #4...how does Good News get better? For me the Christ event is about redemption- restoring all of creation back to Creator's intent. Mission accomplished when all creation redeemed. Now I'm back to success=growth...? Hyper-evangelical?

See what happens when I get a day off in the middle of the week:)

love to all

Zack Schroeder said...

Maybe part of how the Good News gets better is that redemption gets changed from: say sinners prayer = after death returned to original status to: you can interact with a living God and be a part of the restoration process NOW.
It's like Salvation 2.0

NancyJ said...

When death comes near...

News of disease, a tragic accident, the end of a career, the loss of a dream,
we are shaken.

"This can't be, I cry.
I need the status quo.
It's so hard not to be afraid."

Denial

"This hurts.
Why did this happen to me?
It's not fair; I can't do this."

Anger

"Please God, you can change this.
You can fix this.
I promise to..."

Bargaining

All the while through this time things are happening.

Others come close.
They are needed.
Pain and suffering draws our humility.

A slower pace, less things get done.
We find a way to let go of what was
and what will be no longer.

Acceptance.

And when we are stretched beyond all comprehension,
love deepens, courage fills our heart and creativity can do its work.
Life is different, but nice again--even better.

Transformation.

And finally?

Empathy for the one who follows in my path.
I go and now fight with them
and for them in their pain.

This is the redemption of my pain.
And the way of the cross.

When death comes near...

it is a gift.